Since early summer, there have been a lot of "Big Girl" Moments.
#1 Big Girl Moment: No Binky effective July 8th
The summer started with Katie's first visit to the pediatric dentist. She got at "A+" on dental care, but she told us that it was time to lose the binky. Hmmm... The pediatrican didn't have a problem with it. Their philosophy was "Three C's" - car, crisis, crib. I was OK with that. To me we were ahead of the game, Katie had only been allowed the binky in her crib for well over a year...Sort of...there were always exceptions. Like, in the car or upstairs only when Katie took it out of her crib I was too lazy to take it away. :) I think I was in denial that she didn't need it any more, that she was still a baby (my baby, to be exact). That, and I feared NEVER sleeping since we now had Andrew who was up 3 times a night at 5 months old. Anyway, like most things it went a lot better than I thought it would. Only a couple hours of tears the first night.
#2 Big Girl Moment: Potty Trained effective September 5th
We started in May. Actually our baby sitter initiated the process. Me, again, didn't think she was ready. Apparently she was. After one week, she was completely #2 trained...sorry for those of you saying TMI but it is a big deal as a parent to not have to change THOSE diapers. It took a few months and some regression after spending a week with Katie's 11 month old cousin Charlie (at the time) but now she's got it. No more accidents. Next step, staying dry at night. Not a huge deal to me. Afterall, she is only 25 pounds so she can probably stay in a diaper until she is seven! (just kidding)
#3 Big Girl Moment: Toddler bed effective September 28th
99% of Katie's friends have been in toddler beds for months. Me again, stalling. I was terrified that I would hear the pitter patter of her feet all night and that she would STOP napping. Andrew as most of you know, does NOT sleep through the night. Not even close. So, I rely on naptime to myself nap from time to time. Especially after one of his "I think I will stay up for hours around 2am nights" -- Argh. Again, Katie was ready and surprised us both. She loves to climb in and out of her bed and cross your fingers and toes, she has not gotten out of bed yet at naptime or nightime.
More Big Girl Moments:
Dressing herself, pedaling her tricyle, starting preschool, singing silly songs that she makes up the lyrics to...And, many more to come!
Love you Katie!