As most of you have probably heard, NH is in a state of emergency. There was an ice storm Thursday, the 11th. We lost power at midnight. Ned's mom was already staying at our house. My parents, Rich, Carolyn, Charlie, Jeanne and Dino and Ned's dad were all on their way for the weekend festivities. Their hotels were closed. This meant a very full house for us. We had all the Magers plus Ned's mom at our house. 10 people in total.
Next, Katie's kids party was canceled at Rumble Tumble in Portsmouth. So, we scurried to call all our guests and rerouted them to our house.
Timeline --I found out the party was canceled at 8:45am. I started calling guests at 9:15am. Party was set to start at 11am...
I delegated...one person went to pick up the Backyardigans ordered cake (thank god the bakery had a generator!), one person got some balloons, one person pastries, one person to the grocery store...Good thing there were 7 adults staying at our house! It was hectic but it all turned out in the end. We had a great party with great friends and family.
Every year I make an invitation for Katie's family party complete with a poem. Thought I would share this years --
From toddler to preschooler and Big Sister too
No title will ever change how much we love you
You said goodbye to binky and moved to a bed
Both were easier than everyone had said
You can pedal a trike and can do a front roll
You are learning to swim and can count in espanol
Your smile is so big, your hugs so tight
Your happiness tells us we're doing something right
We love your imagination, it is silly and sweet
Always making up songs and "cooking" up treats
1095 wonderful days to date
What's in store for next year?
We cannot wait!
No title will ever change how much we love you
You said goodbye to binky and moved to a bed
Both were easier than everyone had said
You can pedal a trike and can do a front roll
You are learning to swim and can count in espanol
Your smile is so big, your hugs so tight
Your happiness tells us we're doing something right
We love your imagination, it is silly and sweet
Always making up songs and "cooking" up treats
1095 wonderful days to date
What's in store for next year?
We cannot wait!
Before I sign out, I feel compelled to write a little note to Katie. I guess I am feeling a little sentimental...
Dear Katie,
Happy 3rd Birthday. I really can't believe you are three years old. In a blink I fear that you will going to kindergarten. I am not ready for that. You will always be my baby.
You are a smart inquisitive little girl. Full of spunk mixed with a little sass. You have a great sense of humor. You crack me and your Dad up on a daily basis with your silly antidotes and songs. Although you come across as shy in groups, we know that you are developing into a confident little person. You are very affectionate. You love to give hugs and kisses to friends and family. Your brother is enamored by you. You make him laugh the hardest and smile the biggest. I love to watch you play with him. It truly melts my heart.
I love you. You are a beautiful little girl. I can't wait to see how you change this year and in the years to come.
XOXO,
Mommy
Katie met these friends when she was two weeks old.
Right to left: Uma, Katie, Jillian, Ryan and Mickey
Singing of "Happy Birthday": Take ONE
Right to left: Uma, Katie, Jillian, Ryan and Mickey
Singing of "Happy Birthday": Take ONE
Each row captures how each child has changed.
Pink frosted donut with candles and lucky charms
(does it get any better than that???)
Singing of "Happy Birthday": Take TWO
December 9th birthday dinner
Katie requested steak and cous cous .
For dessert, one girlie cake with candles.
Signing of "Happy Birthday": Take THREE
(Several people at the party still did not have power at this point)
Singing of "Happy Birthday": Take FOUR