When we first arrived a lot of people asked questions like: "do you like it there?" "is it more expensive?" "what are the people like?" For the last few months I have been trying to figure out the answers to these questions as well as many, many, many more...
Europe is very different than the United States. Different in some good ways, different in some ways that are going to take A LOT of getting used to.
Of course the most obvious difference is the language. Dutch is the primary language spoken here but most people speak English as well. People dress differently too. I would say that the theme for women is layers. Lots and lots of layers. And, scarfs. I bought a scarf, but just couldn't master it. Food is different. There are just some things you cannot find at the grocery store. Bread crumbs, baked beans, goldfish crackers (a staple at our house) and provolone cheese are just a few. Also, if you order a hamburger, expect it to come with a fried egg on it! In general, I would describe the Dutch as a more private and reserved culture.
Maastricht is a melting pot of cultures. American, Israeli, Saudi, Italian, Russian, Polish, French, Scottish, English, Irish, Turkish, Japanese, German, Belgian, Canadian, Greek, and more. And, these are just the "few" I have met in 3 months. Everyone is in the same boat, so to speak. Some are here indefinitely, but most are here because of a job and will probably be here a few years. I have joined a couple groups and am finding that the international community is very willing to share information and lend a helping hand where needed. That is reassuring, very.
When we decided to move, I was apprehensive, but tried to look at it as a once in a lifetime experience and adventure. I miss my friends and family a lot. Everyday. One thing I know I will come away with from this experience is perspective. It sure is different being a foreigner.
For now, here are some pictures of our home.
First floor:
Front door and hall into kitchen
Second Floor: