As most of your know, when we are in the US, we travel a lot. Well, so did the caterpillars and ladybugs. They went from New York to New Hampshire to Pennsylvania to New Jersey. It wasnt the easiest of things. Neither could be in direct sunlight, get any condensation on their habitats or, of course - be dropped or manhandled.
We were very happy that almost all of the ladybugs matured into adult ladybugs and that all 10 caterpillars turned into Painted Lady butterflies. It was a great learning experience for both kids, but especially Katie. She checked her bugs every morning and told everyone about how they had changed. Did you know that ladybugs don't look like ladybugs until they are in the adult phase? I didn't. Before the adult phase they look like ordinary black little bugs, almost like an ant. We watched the caterpillars turn into chrysalids and hang from the top of the cups and then carefully moved them to the netted cage (picture below). The first cocoon hatched (?) on the drive from New Hampshire to Pennsylvania. It was VERY exciting! (I was relieved that I hadn't screwed up and killed them, honestly)