Monday, December 13, 2010

Fairy Party!


I was surprised when Katie said she wanted to have a Fairy Party at home. For those that know her, she doesnt really care for dress up. Several times, I suggested a party outside the house - a bouny place perhaps? this gorgeous 12th century castle near us that does Princess and Knight treasure hunt parties? A pizza making party at a local restaurant that has a play area? I tried and tried. Nope. A party at home is what she wanted.

So, at this age I think it is difficult to pick and choose who to invite. We decided to invite all the girls from the class as well as a few friends outside school. We invited 16. Crazy I know. 15 RSVPed "yes" + Katie and Andrew = 17 children. And, apparently, five is the magical age where parents do not stay at parties any longer. 4 parents stayed + Ned and I = 6 adults. Ratio 17:6. We were SO outnumbered!

All in all it was truly a fantastic party. Ned made the cake. Katie picked it out of a book. I helped to decorate it. It was perfect. A toadstool with plastic fairies (not pictured). We played Pass the Parcel, a popular party game in the UK, and hit a pinata. Ned also had this oh-so-brilliant-idea to buy confetti. It was very very fun, but also VERY messy. I am still finding confetti 3 days later after 3 vacuums!

The kids made fairy cupcakes (frosted and decorated them, that is) and made fairy wings with posterboard, glitter pens, gems, etc. What fun!




(that's Andrew under the bowl)

The aftermath. And thats just the living room!

Andrew and Ned, the clean up crew