Wednesday, February 8, 2012

"He's Just Not Into You"

I had to "write" this down...

Katie likes a boy in her class. Aidan.  She told me this a couple weeks ago.

This morning driving her to school she tells me that she invited Aidan over for a playdate the previous day and he said he doesn't want to come over. He also said he doesn't want to marry her.  I ask her how that makes her feel.  In the rear view mirror I see her shrug her shoulders and say, "it's OK, he still loves me."  I think, tough skin.  Good for her.

Five hours later I pick her up from school.  Standing in our kitchen she tells me.  Aidan said he will marry her but only if he doesn't  have someone else to marry.  Again, I again ask her how she feels.   She says, "that's OK, he still loves me. "  I tell her she should want to marry someone who wants to marry her.   She should marry someone who loves her for who she is and only wants to be with her.  Then I stopped myself.  She is six afterall....this was starting to sound like a lecture about love.  I kind of sigh and hope boys don't hurt but know it is inevitable. Some boy will break her heart... Just didn't think it would be this soon.

Ten minutes later, Katie comes in and says "I will not let Aidan marry another girl.  I will push her away if he tries to marry her."  A little on the aggressive side, yes, but Way to go Katie! Get your Man!