Ahh the grocery store...
When we lived in NH I never enjoyed going to the grocery store with both kids. I know there are a lot of moms reading this that will have to agree. I always had my list in hand and it was a mad dash down the isles grabbing what I needed. I had, on more than one occassion, gotten home with the wrong product. (ie bought pizza sauce instead of pasta sauce).
Whether you have a newborn, toddler or preschooler, it is all about timing. The big question is- will he/she/they cooperate and let you get out of the store without any major meltdowns or scenes. That is always the question.
Well, I thought it was tough in NH. That is a walk in the park compared to the grocery store in Holland.
#1 You must have 50 cents in order to use a grocery cart. No 50 piece, no cart. You get the 50 cents back when you return the cart to its rightful place. It is actually a good concept, I think. Then no carts hit cars and the store doesnt have to employ someone to walk around in zero degree weather putting carts where they belong. Problem...what do to when you dont have a 50 cent piece with two kids in tow...
#2 No (absolutly NONE) grocery carts (winklewagon in dutch) have buckles/seatbelts. Have you met Andrew?....he likes to climb.
#3 There aren't any bags available for your groceries. You have to bring your own reusable bag. So, again if you forget your reusable bag, you must purchase another one. I am getting better at remembering. And, yes, I have at least six now.
#4 No one bags your groceries. It doesnt matter if I spent 10 euros or 150 euros in groceries. I bag my own.
#5 All products are in Dutch. I find myself staring at the products trying to figure out what I am buying. Magere beef (what cut is that?). Thank god for pictures on can goods, boxes and jars!
So, here is the mental picture in case you didnt conjor up one on your own.... I am wandering around the grocery store trying to figure out products. Katie is whining for this, that and another thing. Andrew is climbing out of the winklewagon and wanting to eat his way through the grocery store (a fresh baguette usually does the trick). I finally am finished. I am trying to pay and bag my groceries while simultaneously having one hand on Andrew so that he does not climb out of the cart!
What a picture...
And, most of you have seen the pictures of our refrigerator.... It does not hold much so I get to have this adventure multiple times a week!
So, next time you are struggling at the grocery store with your child/children, think of me. Not that it is a competition, but I bet I have you beat!