Sunday, December 6, 2009

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is not a celebrated holiday in the Netherlands. For obvious reasons, of course. But, being Americans and having had turkey for the last 30 some years of our lives on "Turkey Day", we had to do it. Plus, being in a new place, it is nice to make things feel as much like "home" as we can.

Ned was not off from work on Thanksgiving or Black Friday so we celebrated on Saturday. Two American families came over. I have grown quite close to these two particular moms and their children. I am very thankful for their friendship and support over the last eight months. When you are so far from home, your friends become family.

Finding a turkey in November was no easy feat. And, one that would fit in our over. If you recall, our oven is SMALL. Ned found one at a local butcher that was 1 or 2 kilos. And, it was de-licious!


Andrew really wanted the drumstick

The kids. Katie, Ian and Andrew. (I think Katie is trying to blow out the candle)


The little bird


Katie and Andrew picking. Um Um good!
Katie kept calling it a chicken. I think because it was the size of a chichen!