Thursday, March 31, 2011

30 Days Hath...

We are at t-minus 30 days until we leave the Netherlands and return to our home country. Until we are "repatriated", the technical term used..

Since the end of Ja
nuary when Ned's company told us we were to move, it has been a little bit of an emotional roller coaster for me. The first few weeks I was sad. Just down in the dumps. Even a little angry. I worked really hard to assimilate into the Dutch culture and it isn't the easier culture to get used to. There are so many things that are just different from American culture. First and foremost, the language. A few others - driving with bikers everywhere, grocery foods, clothes and shoe shopping, banking, customer service or lack thereof...Many many more...

When I reflect on what I will miss most, its easy. My friends. I wonderful friends here. Friends that feel like family. When you live abroad without family, there are times when you need help. Especially when most of the husbands travel for their jobs. I found people like this. People who love me, my kids, the whole kit and kaboodle. For this, I am very grateful.

I will also miss the city. Maastricht is a medium size city with major city size charm. I can be there in 5 minutes, always find a parking spot and feel safe walking with the 2 kids without another adult. The shopping and cafes are great. Once I figured out where to shop and clothes that will fit me (sizing is, of course different), I looked forward to my mornings when Andrew was in school and I had time to meet a friend for coffee or browse for the house, kids or me.

I certainly will miss travel. We have taken advantage of living in Europe. We have traveled to at least 7 countries. England, Belgium, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Spain. Our kids have become seasoned travelers. They are awesome at airport security and don't blink and eye when sleeping at this hotel or that. They love exploring new places and Katie even enjoys trying new foods. They have become pretty flexible travelers.

Those are probably my top three things I miss the most. I am sure as we get closer to departure day on April 30th, I will think of more. Hopefully between packing and organizing, I will have time to jot down a few more thought on my blog...