Lucas was one week old on Thursday. His first day home was a little chaotic getting into some sort of routine, but the timing of his birth really could not have been better timed. Or, un-timed in his case.
Lucas was due November 26th, my father's birthday. I was scheduled for a repeat C-section November 22, at 39 weeks and 3 days. If he was born November 22 as scheduled, I would have been in the hospital for 3 nights and come home on Friday, the day AFTER Thanksgiving. Just not the best timing. Instead, he was born on a Thursday, came home on a Sunday and the kids both had a full day of school Monday. It was a perfect way to ease into the craziness of our family. And, he came when he was ready. I started having contractions 6 days before he was born. To quote the midwife on the day he was born: "enough is enough - today you are going to have a baby."
The last 11 days have been wonderful getting to know him. So far, and I hate to compare, but he is a much calmer baby than Katie and Andrew. He is content to be held or put down in a bouncey chair or swing. He falls asleep on his own and is very alert.
A few things I have learned about Lucas so far in getting to know him...
1) When he wakes up he starts off sounding like a dolphin with a clicking sound. Then as he wakes up more and more he get a little bit louder and louder, but never a full blown cry
2) He does not like his diaper changed. He knows once his fresh diaper is on, the torture is almost over
3) He already knows my voice
4) He must burp after each feeding or else his belly hurts. If he doesn't burp, he will NOT go back to sleep.
5) When he nurses, he gets a little excited and makes a little noise as if to say "here I come"
6) He is a love. Just perfect. Tiny and sweet.