Thursday, November 17, 2011

Halloween

Halloween was very exciting this year.  Last October we went to Disney World and then came up to New Hampshire to Trick or Treat, but this year we were fully immersed in the festivities.  I think it was because kids were older and were able to see the stores getting ready and talk to their friends.  In the Netherlands, of course, Halloween isn't celebrated.

Katie and Andrew's good friends, Jillian and Alaina, came over to Trick or Treat with us.  I think this is the 3rd year( out of four) they have been able to go with us.  Our neighborhood is ideal for this age.  We live in a development with 2 cul-de-sacs. We know all of our neighbors and the streets are well lit and safe.  And, to do both streets, it takes about 1 hour.  Perfect.

 Jillian the Pirate

 Katie was Nala from Disney's the Lion King

Katie LOVES the Lion King.  I would say it is her favorite Disney movie.  She saw it for the first time when she was about three years old and since then has loved it.  She has not wavered.  She was Nala when she was three and insisted that she wanted to be it again this year.  The costume, of course, did not fit anymore, so we had to get a new one.  I have to say, she does make one very cute lioness!

 Andrew the Penguin

Andrew wanted to be a penguin for weeks leading up to Halloween. Actually, probably at least a good 6 weeks!  He had a favorite tee shirt this summer that had penguins on it and I think that is where it started. 

 Alaina the Witch


Grandma was here for pumpkin carving this year since I was put on bed rest a week earlier.  Katie loves to dig her hands in the pumpkin and get all the "goo."  She enjoyed separating the seeds so we could make pumpkin seeds in the oven.  Andrew did not like the "goo" at all and would not touch it.




 Both kids designed their own pumpkin face on a piece of paper first and then Mom or Dad cut it out.  I have to say, I was impressed with their original designs.  They were both unique and both Katie and Andrew were happy with the end result.