Thursday, October 8, 2009

Funny Ned

It is rare that Ned (or I, for that matter) get featured in a blog but this had to be recorded...

(Put on your imagination cap)

Story #1
While the kids and I were in the US our frig broke (or so Ned thought..it ended up that the cord had come loose). Ned went to the Home Depot of Holland and bought a small frig (that we planned to use as a second frig in the garage) If only it was that simple... The frig box did not fit in the trunk of his car. So, Ned decided to put the frig in the cart and push it home. Home, just so you can get a clear picture is 8 kilometers (4.9 miles). So picture, if you would, Ned pushing a box (bigger than the trunk) in a shopping cart on a city street. Funny, but I am not done yet. While starting his trek home, Ned realized that the store closes shortly and that the parking lot is gated and locked when closed. Uh-oh. Ned starts running with the cart and the box. Then, gets home unloads his cart and runs back to the store. 8 km. back. Luckily he made it back before the store closed and was able to get his car out of the lot. When he returned, the store clerks approached him. Someone had reported that they saw a man pushing a cart through town. The clerks told Ned he was lucky he did not get arrested.

Story #2
We bought a shelf at IKEA. It was too short for the space. The store is near Ned's work. I asked Ned if he returned the shelf. He said, "yes, sort of" but that he didn't get a store credit. I thought that was strange, but the return policies in Holland are a little strange/difficult. It seemed like there was more to it so I asked him why. Well, apparently Ned went to IKEA with the intention of returning the shelf, but the return line was too long for his liking so he just left the shelf at the store. In the middle of the store. Who does that??? If IKEA's inventory is off, we know who to blame.

These two stories made me laugh. I would never push a frig 5 miles. I would have taken the frig back into the store and either asked someone for help unpacking the box and getting it on my car or asked them to hold it for when I could come back with a larger car. Nor would I leave an item I paid for (only 7 euros but that is not the point) in the middle of the store. I would bring it back later.

Are these stories case in point to the differences between men and women or the difference between Ned and Ellen? I think both.