Friday, October 23, 2009

Pumpkins for Dummies

The Halloween season has been, well, a challenge in our new home.

First off, we wanted pumpkins. I called and emailed the few potential farms, which of course is no easy feat since I do not speak dutch. We went to one farm that said they did have pumpkins, but they turned out to be the Japanese variety.

Japanese pumpkins
(that is a 5"x 7" frame to give you an idea of size)

A few ex-pat friends knew that I was looking for pumpkins and told me that the grocery store had them. I was skeptical,but excited to have found some. They were small and expensive but they were pumpkins. Each one was 2.99 euros which is $4.42. We bought three ($13.25 total).



It is difficult to read the sticker that came on the back of the pumpkin, but basically it says:

Step one:Cut off top
Step two: Cut a face
Step three: place candle inside and light

And, there were three black stickers on the front of the pumpkin (see picture below). Eyes, nose and mouth. It couldn't be easier...If you wanted, you could trace the stickers and then cut out the face. Funny dutch...

Yep, the pumpkin came with directions on how to carve it. I got a kick out of this! Can't say I have ever seen this in America!

Since we only had three small pumpkins, we decided to paint two and carve one.

The kids painting their pumpkins. Notice Katie's has a face!

The kid's painted pumpkins (right and left).
The center pumpkins displays the black stickers each came with.

Katie carving

The finished pumpkins.
The right one is jack-o-lantern. It is a bat (Daddy helped....)